Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What to Eat While You Listen to Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin


The Beach Boys were my first favorite band. I listened to their Christmas album year-round and was fairly convinced that Brian Wilson and I would someday be husband and wife until the sobering day my parents gently explained to me that he had, in fact, aged quite a bit since the photographs covering the Beach Boys' album covers had been taken.

Was I disappointed? You bet. Eventually, however, I was able to put aside my personal resentment towards Mr. Wilson for having the gall to grow old with someone who wasn't me and enjoy some of the most finely crafted pop songs the world has ever known yet again. My taste in music has gone through some serious (and, occasionally, very necessary) overhauls throughout the years, but the Beach Boys were never far from my heart.

It makes perfect sense, then, that the first few chords of this album had me instantly craving my favorite sandwich in my hometown of Houston, Texas - the Brasil Club at Cafe Brasil. The sandwich is made up of spinach, carrots, beets, sprouts, tomato, onion, avocado, walnuts, Dijon, and provolone between your choice of foccacia or ciabatta.

The sandwich and the album both feel light while bringing in some of the big guns, musically and nutritionally speaking. They seamlessly string together disparate, familiar elements in a way that feels fresh rather than desperate. The sandwich is just as likely to remind you of tacos you've devoured or your favorite Italian restaurant, while the album may compel you to listen to Billie Holiday or the Beach Boys next, depending on where your nostalgia takes you. Any way, you can't go wrong.

Brian Wilson - 'S Wonderful
Brian Wilson - I've Got a Crush on You

1 comment: